This article describes how to install and configure RedmineUpwork, a plugin for Redmine which imports data from Upwork and also adds the ability for budgeting, controlling and more to Redmine. You can find more information about RedmineUpwork within this blog or on the official website: www.redmineupwork.com
There are two versions of RedmineUpwork.
- Basic Integration:
As you can imagine this is the foundation of the link between Redmine and Upwork. It establishes the connection and the import of time entries.
This version adds the financial aspects of the plugin which means it also imports rate and billed money from Upwork and adds views for controlling and budgeting. For using “Financial” you have to install “Basic integration” first.
Here`s what you have to do to use RedmineUpwork:
Install Basic Integration:
- Download the source code and copy it to the “plugin” folder of your Redmine installation. The folder inside the plugin-directory must be named “redmine_upwork”
- To install missing gem files, use bundler within the root folder of the Redmine installation:
Code: bundle install
3. Run plugin-migration, make sure to do this within the root folder of your Redmine installation:
rake redmine:plugins:migrate RAILS_ENV=production
4. Run the configuration-script within the extra folder of the plugin. The script will assist you to get the credentials of the Upwork API. Therefore you have to access the login page of the API. After logging in with your agency credentials you receive a link. Copy and paste it in the terminal. The configuration-script will return the access token and secret token. Save them you will need them later.
cd redmine/plugins/redmine_upwork/extra Ruby config_settings.rb
5. For automatically import data from Upwork in frequent intervals you have to add a cron tab:
Add the following line, and replace “absolute_path” with your path to the Redmine installation:
0 2 * * * /bin/bash -l -c 'cd /absolute_path/redmine && rails runner -e production '\''UpworkContract.cron'\'''
Repeat steps 1-3 of the installation of “Basic Integration” but name the folder of the plugin “redmine_financial”. You don`t need to run the config_settings-script again or add an additional cron script.
Configure the plugins:
Login your administration account. Go to “Administration” in the top menu und select “Plugins”. Choose “Configure” at the plugin you want to configure.
1. Choose Basic Integration
Paste the access token and secret token and click on apply.
2. Go back to Administration -> plugins and choose the configuration of the plugin financial and paste the access token and secret token as well.
Apart from the token you can configure the following settings:
Upwork Currency: The currency you’re using in Upwork
Platform Currency: The currency you`re using in Redmine
Customer Currency: The currency you’re billing your costumers with
Calculate expenses when tracking time in Redmine: When adding manual time to Redmine issues, calculate expenses with the rate you configured within the user profile of Redmine.
Use USD currency when adding manual entries: When adding manual entries, like expenses use USD-Dollar
Convert automatically to platform currency: Automatically convert new entries in a different currency to platform currency.
Fee for converting currency(%): Normally exchanging currency will cost you a fee. You can configure that fee to take account of that when converting money.
Note: We`ll discuss how RedmineUpwork handles different currencies in a future blogpost.
Congrats the plugins are ready to use. Any questions or problems, please don`t hesitate to contact us:
For more tips help and documentations about the use of the plugin keep track of our blog.